So, finally I got some time to update Hack24, my first ever MMO for iOS. 2.0 is not as big upgraded as I hoped but added some more fun to the game.
- You can now customise the colour and building type
- You can now message online players
- NPC have been introduced to add more fun
- Bug fixes
- Game balancing
- iOS8 fixes
Next, I plan to improve performance, the game keeps getting new users, and so development will continue
You can get it free from iTunes
Just a small update, the following features, bugs have been fixed.
- Added feature to turn VR mode off
- Added feature so you no longer need a game controller
- Fixed issue with be able to place objects in other peoples worlds
- Fixed a few crashes!
Please check out
So, tonight I decided just to punt out Virtual Worlds. Probably a silly move but nothing has been happening lately with it due to work stuff, a 3 week long cough, 2 birthdays, Christmas and home life!
I will soon know how bad it is!
I managed to do some useful bug fixes, tested it on a couple of controllers etc. More will come soon!
What does it have?
- Main world has little huts which is your door way to the other worlds
- It has some built in help to tell you what buttons do what.
- It has some nice new textures but sadly very limiting at the moment
- You can see other players in the game, pretty poor graphics but that will be fixed very soon
- You can create your own little minecraft type world 🙂 though very basic!
- Once I see it in the Google Store, I will test it works 🙂 (releases always seem to cause some odd bug)
- I need to add some more textures ASAP
- A way for people to report bugs
- A way for people to talk to each other!
Google Play Link
So, Virtual Worlds, hmm I had planned to release that by the end of the month however a few things have come up! Man Flu has not helped me code, the snot just goes everywhere!
I have also had a few other things on!
Excuses over, where are we?
- Started getting a better set of textures together thanks to Gary
- Made a very rough simple player model which maybe be replaced by a OBJ file
- Fixed lots of bugs
- Created a control screen showing controls etc
- Improved the navigation throughout the app
- Implemented some speaking help notifications
- Got Google Cloud Messaging working however not sure why I need it now.
- Moved to Live server!
Left to do by 1st December
- Improve player object
- Finish texture pack off
- Make scalable zone object
- Fix any controller issues
- Allow user interaction maybe using GCM
- Allow players to fly in zones if they own them to help build them
Wish me luck!
What? a? Virtual Worlds? What a sh*t name? Your probably right but its just better than Android 3D mmo thingy!
Progress so far? I would of liked to give it more time but some times I am not in the mood, sometimes I can’t get out of the mood which also leads to lack of sleep! Last night I had beer! (not a usual thing sadly)
What can you do so far?
- Register, login
- Navigate the main world, which will allow you to enter player zones and create your own zones.
- You can see other players (as cubes) move about
- Once in your own zone, you can place cubes to make structures (see below) this has been vastly improved.
- You can climb your structures to make bigger structures (I had to make a stair case to to make the archway)
- You can enter delete mode in your zone and delete things with ease
- Started adding back in the voice engine, sound effects etc
- There are now system text messages to show you important information
- Players and zones have text above them showing their username
So to get it to the point where I can alpha test it I would like to do the follow
- Create a 3D model for players as they are currently cubes
- Make a 3D object for a zone, this should grow as the zone gets more popular / better in some way
- Find a wider range of textures snow, grass, wood, etc
- Create a control help screen to list gamepad controls
- Make all commands voice activated (may get dropped)
- Allow you to send messages to users (may be text or voice)
- Create some sort of reason to play the game, prices, score boards etc.
- Implement GCM (push notifications)
The aim is to have a demo zone thats setup for xmas when I release alpha:)
Off to bed!
So Hack24 has seen some downloads, and some regular players. 1.01 was a fast update to fix a few issues however 1.02 (which may become 1.1) will hopefully see quite a few improvements.
New stuff coming (hopefully) soon
- Steal player buildings (done)
- Rob player item (master key for players basically) (done)
- Claim all money for buildings (would save a lot of time)
- Scan renamed to probe. (done)
- New scan item to list online players
- Some in game help to guide you on your way (done in a basic way)
- Avatar colour changes based on level / rank?
- APN’s (may not make 1.02)
- Some server securities (done)
- More game levels (may not make 1.02)
- Joystick improvements (done)
- In game messaging
- Customise buildings
- Heads up display of near users (may not make 1.02)
I decided to have a rest today as I have been training for a marathon and a few other things. I thought this lunch break I would do some important fixes to Hack24 server.
DON’T do this, lunch breaks and servers do not mix.
I assumed my fix would sort out the issues, it did, but it brought on a whole load of more because I cleared out some corrupted records and forgot the client side would have a cache that now does not match the server side. Oh boy what a mess.
Backup, nope because I was rushing as it was my lunch break!
Luckily, one of my friends managed to do some database magic. He will receive a burger on me .
So again, don’t do server upgrades at lunch time, it ruins your day when it goes wrong!
We have submitted 1.01 to iTunes and hopefully it gets accepted. It is mainly a few important bug fixes.
Finally, a month and a week late, the first version of Hack24 has been submitted. Emotional moment, trying to write even a simple MMO single handedly is a massive task, trying to do it in a month with a family and full time job, is practically impossible. I did it in 2 months 🙂
I will write more on it soon, enjoying a beer at the moment.
Version 1.0 supports (I wanted to call it 0.1):
Hacking, buying, entering, claiming from buildings
Scanning and Robbing players
Items allow players to teleport, scan, brute force hack, enter buildings, shield, speed up and invisibility.
I will be updating the website, and writing a how to play guide 🙂
So I had planned to release Hack24 for the end of May and as we are mid June, I failed! Its pretty hard to make a MMO in a month part time.
Since I lasted blogged about the project I have done the following.
- Improved FPS even on older devices by optimising what is rendered
- Items now spawn and players can collect items
- Speed, Money, hacking items can now be used
- Player can now gain XP and level up
- Added icon
Main items left to do
- Be able to teleport (new idea)
- Be able to buy items
- Quests / missions
- Player interaction
- Add help
- Finish iPhone UI
I hope to at least submit to Apple by the end of the month