I May of just solved a programming issue that’s been bugging me for many months. The only way I thought I could get round it was a complete rewrite of the 3D engine for Hack24. However it seems you can get around the massive performance with Hack24 by having multiple threads. Yes seems obvious however this is OpenGL world and that is completely different, the items have to created in the main context!
The fix worked, so a new version of Hack24 has been submitted (with other bug fixes!)
Humble Bundles generally consist of a number of indie games sold together at a low price in support of charity. This time however it’s a bit different, as this one is composed almost entirely of game development tools and asset packs. The bundle currently includes:
- Axis Game Factory Starter Pack
- Stencyl Indie Edition 1 year License
- RPG Maker 90% off coupon
- Humble Bundle Starter DLC ( sprite tiles and music tracks )
- Indie Game Maker 2014 Finalist Pack ( more assets )
- Labyrinth Dreams ( a game )
- RPG Maker VX Ace Delux
- Game Character Hub
- Humble Bundle SciFi Pack
- Humble Bundle New DLC Pack
- Aveyond:Lord of Twilight ( a game )
- Crimson Clover WORLD IGNITION ( a game )
- App Game Kit 2
- Spriter Pro
- Sprite Lamp
- Humble Bundle Fantasy DLC Pack
- Goats on a Bridge ( a game )
The above list is the complete purchase list however, and requires an investment of at least 12$. That said, Spriter alone usually has a 50$ price tag and Stencyl Indie is 99$, thats an extremely reasonable price tag.
More details about the Humble Game Making Bundle are available right here.
So, finally I got some time to update Hack24, my first ever MMO for iOS. 2.0 is not as big upgraded as I hoped but added some more fun to the game.
- You can now customise the colour and building type
- You can now message online players
- NPC have been introduced to add more fun
- Bug fixes
- Game balancing
- iOS8 fixes
Next, I plan to improve performance, the game keeps getting new users, and so development will continue
You can get it free from iTunes
Just a small update, the following features, bugs have been fixed.
- Added feature to turn VR mode off
- Added feature so you no longer need a game controller
- Fixed issue with be able to place objects in other peoples worlds
- Fixed a few crashes!
Please check out
So, tonight I decided just to punt out Virtual Worlds. Probably a silly move but nothing has been happening lately with it due to work stuff, a 3 week long cough, 2 birthdays, Christmas and home life!
I will soon know how bad it is!
I managed to do some useful bug fixes, tested it on a couple of controllers etc. More will come soon!
What does it have?
- Main world has little huts which is your door way to the other worlds
- It has some built in help to tell you what buttons do what.
- It has some nice new textures but sadly very limiting at the moment
- You can see other players in the game, pretty poor graphics but that will be fixed very soon
- You can create your own little minecraft type world 🙂 though very basic!
- Once I see it in the Google Store, I will test it works 🙂 (releases always seem to cause some odd bug)
- I need to add some more textures ASAP
- A way for people to report bugs
- A way for people to talk to each other!
Google Play Link
So, Virtual Worlds, hmm I had planned to release that by the end of the month however a few things have come up! Man Flu has not helped me code, the snot just goes everywhere!
I have also had a few other things on!
Excuses over, where are we?
- Started getting a better set of textures together thanks to Gary
- Made a very rough simple player model which maybe be replaced by a OBJ file
- Fixed lots of bugs
- Created a control screen showing controls etc
- Improved the navigation throughout the app
- Implemented some speaking help notifications
- Got Google Cloud Messaging working however not sure why I need it now.
- Moved to Live server!
Left to do by 1st December
- Improve player object
- Finish texture pack off
- Make scalable zone object
- Fix any controller issues
- Allow user interaction maybe using GCM
- Allow players to fly in zones if they own them to help build them
Wish me luck!
What? a? Virtual Worlds? What a sh*t name? Your probably right but its just better than Android 3D mmo thingy!
Progress so far? I would of liked to give it more time but some times I am not in the mood, sometimes I can’t get out of the mood which also leads to lack of sleep! Last night I had beer! (not a usual thing sadly)
What can you do so far?
- Register, login
- Navigate the main world, which will allow you to enter player zones and create your own zones.
- You can see other players (as cubes) move about
- Once in your own zone, you can place cubes to make structures (see below) this has been vastly improved.
- You can climb your structures to make bigger structures (I had to make a stair case to to make the archway)
- You can enter delete mode in your zone and delete things with ease
- Started adding back in the voice engine, sound effects etc
- There are now system text messages to show you important information
- Players and zones have text above them showing their username
So to get it to the point where I can alpha test it I would like to do the follow
- Create a 3D model for players as they are currently cubes
- Make a 3D object for a zone, this should grow as the zone gets more popular / better in some way
- Find a wider range of textures snow, grass, wood, etc
- Create a control help screen to list gamepad controls
- Make all commands voice activated (may get dropped)
- Allow you to send messages to users (may be text or voice)
- Create some sort of reason to play the game, prices, score boards etc.
- Implement GCM (push notifications)
The aim is to have a demo zone thats setup for xmas when I release alpha:)
Off to bed!
So Hack24 has seen some downloads, and some regular players. 1.01 was a fast update to fix a few issues however 1.02 (which may become 1.1) will hopefully see quite a few improvements.
New stuff coming (hopefully) soon
- Steal player buildings (done)
- Rob player item (master key for players basically) (done)
- Claim all money for buildings (would save a lot of time)
- Scan renamed to probe. (done)
- New scan item to list online players
- Some in game help to guide you on your way (done in a basic way)
- Avatar colour changes based on level / rank?
- APN’s (may not make 1.02)
- Some server securities (done)
- More game levels (may not make 1.02)
- Joystick improvements (done)
- In game messaging
- Customise buildings
- Heads up display of near users (may not make 1.02)
I decided to have a rest today as I have been training for a marathon and a few other things. I thought this lunch break I would do some important fixes to Hack24 server.
DON’T do this, lunch breaks and servers do not mix.
I assumed my fix would sort out the issues, it did, but it brought on a whole load of more because I cleared out some corrupted records and forgot the client side would have a cache that now does not match the server side. Oh boy what a mess.
Backup, nope because I was rushing as it was my lunch break!
Luckily, one of my friends managed to do some database magic. He will receive a burger on me .
So again, don’t do server upgrades at lunch time, it ruins your day when it goes wrong!
We have submitted 1.01 to iTunes and hopefully it gets accepted. It is mainly a few important bug fixes.