Say hello to George (v1 – 2.1)

After Bob, I decided to adapt the KISS approach (Keep it simple stupid)!  My objective for the Great Western Lego Show 2011 was to make a Robot that worked, and worked well!  It had to move and be able to turn on anti-slip carpet, easy to control and be strong enough to take knocks / drive in to tables without breaking.
George is a fully functional 5 foot 7″ robot. Controlled via a PlayStation 2 controller, he can move about, rotate his upper body, move his arms / shoulders and grab items. His head also rotates, moves up and down and if you get too close, his eyes will roll.
More pictures can be found here:

This time around I decided to scrap having multiple NXT’s and went with the brilliant Mindsensors wireless Playstation 2 controller sensor pack. This allows you to control your NXT via a Playstation 2 controller which has a huge number of buttons / controls on it.  Then I linked the NXT to a hiTechnic IR link so that the NXT could send commands to power functions infrared receivers (all 4 channels). This setup gave me a large number of possible functions (11 different motor channels). I used RobotC to program the NXT as I find it an amazing programming language.

This robot had a large upright body beam. However it did not rise up and down so it did not require any counter balance weight. Also, it was not plated and only carried 1 NXT. This probably cut down a 3rd of the total weight of the robot, even though it was bigger than Bob (5 ft 7” tall).

The main base of the robot was smaller than the one on the previous robot which would naturally make it move a little easier, especially being lighter. Also the 4 XL motor driving it were geared down via a 8 to 24 tooth gearing. First time around, this just snapped the gears in half. The way to get around this was to use 2 sets of 8 to 24 tooth gears in parallel on the same axle per motor. Also, as a backup, in case the robot did not work on the show carpet, I could swap the 24 tooth gears for 40 tooth gears very easily which would give it even more driving power but at a cost to speed.

On the day
George was a huge success with the members of the public. Most people did not realise it moved and so jumped quite a bit when they realised it did. This was very funny except for the odd small child that got rather scared. People even started taking pictures next to it and a few people felt compelled to try to hug it or shake George’s robotic hand.

Issues were a minimum really.  After transporting George in more pieces than I hoped, I had to do a small tweak to the neck as the gears were slipping. Sadly I only had red technic with me for another one of my models and so it looked a little odd if you saw George from behind.

The main body bearing, as shown below just did not work on the day (well 2 days).  I am not sure why it worked at home and then stopped but I could only get it to turn 1 way.  Also the footballs kept falling out! I have since swapped them out and made a better version using wheels.

The only other issue which, to be fair, I already knew about, were that the large linear actuators (x3) in each shoulder joint made horrible noises (the built in clutches) and sometimes got jammed. Lego have made improvements to these actuators, but I have not got the newer version yet. I did try using pneumatics for the shoulder but that gives you little control.

The Future
I have already started work on 2 more large robots for next year (while also keeping George).  The first will be called Wheeler and is a giant wheeled robot. The start of it can be seen below.

The second robot will be based on Bob (T1) but avoiding all of the downfalls of it. I am looking forward to seeing people’s faces when there are 3 giant robots running around.